Posts for: August, 2017
When your teeth are crooked, discolored or damaged, it's hard to feel good about your smile. Luckily, there's a solution to every smile issue, thanks to a variety of effective cosmetic dentistry treatments. Your Herrin, IL, cosmetic dentist Dr. Christopher Hughes discusses a few issues that can be corrected.
Metal braces may be the traditional way to straighten teeth, but they're not the only method. Clear Invisalign aligner trays correct alignment and spacing issues without any metal. The removable trays are worn for about 20 hours a day and are only removed to eat, brush and floss. Replacing the trays every two weeks is the key to maintaining your progress.
Small flaws in teeth, such as chips, uneven surfaces, cracks and discolorations can be hidden using one of these three cosmetic dentistry treatments:
- Bonding: Bonding involves adding a few layers of composite resin to your teeth to conceal imperfections. Although the material is soft and flexible when it's applied, a curing light quickly hardens it.
- Veneers: Veneers are thin, tooth-shaped pieces of porcelain cemented to the front surfaces of your teeth in our Herrin. They offer excellent coverage for small flaws and may also be used to whiten your entire smile or close gaps between teeth.
- Crowns: Crowns cover teeth on all four sides and are used to conceal discolorations, cracks and other imperfections. Before you receive a crown, your tooth must be reduced in size to ensure a comfortable fit.
Both bonding and crowns can be used to repair and restore damaged teeth. Bonding is often used to fill chips and cracks and restore broken sections of teeth. If a large part of your tooth has broken, a crown may be a better option. Crowns also strengthen fragile teeth, including those weakened by injuries.
Replacing missing teeth boosts your self-esteem and improves your ability to speak and chew normally. Teeth can be replaced with:
- Bridges: Bridges consist of a string of artificial teeth held in place by crowns at both ends of the bridge.
- Dentures: Dentures rest on your gums and can be used to replace all of your teeth or a section of them.
- Implants: Dental implants bond to your jawbone and replace tooth roots. When combined with crowns, they offer a comfortable, long-lasting alternative to bridges and dentures. Implant-supported dentures and bridges are also available.
Are you ready to make a few changes to your smile? Call Herrin, IL, cosmetic dentist Dr. Christopher Hughes at (618) 993-3100 to schedule your appointment.