One of the best ways to cover up teeth that have undergone restorative procedures is through crowns. Your cosmetic dentist at Herrin, IL, Dr. Christopher Hughes, can provide a dental crown to protect a damaged tooth or to improve its appearance.
More About Using Crowns For Cosmetic Dentistry
Crowns are cap-like porcelain dental restorations. To create them, your Herrin, IL, cosmetic dentist takes an impression of your teeth and sends them to a lab where custom crowns are made just for you. In the meantime, you'll be given a temporary crown.
During restorative procedures, such as root canals, a significant amount of natural tooth is removed. This leaves the tooth susceptible to breakage, which is why a dental crown is placed over the tooth. The dental crown reinforces the tooth and allows it to withstand various degrees of pressure, meaning you can enjoy eating without the worry of ruining your tooth.
Here are some other uses that for dental crowns:
- Attaching bridges
- Covering dental implants
- Covering an existing filling that may be dislocated
- Covering stained or discolored teeth
Dental hygiene is crucial for maintaining crowns and your overall oral health.
- You need to brush twice a day, at least, and floss before bed. Make sure to give special attention to the area around your dental crown by holding your brush at a 40-degree angle to get hard-to-reach areas.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Crowns can last for years, or more, so be sure to avoid biting into ice and restrict the consumption of sugary products, such as soda and candy.
- Use a mouth guard, or splints, if you suffer from bruxism (teeth grinding) to increase the lifespan of your dental crowns.
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact cosmetic dentist Dr. Christopher Hughes at Herrin, IL, by calling (618) 993-3100.